Spring is the universal season of rebirth and growth! With Winter giving way to sunnier, warmer weather, the days are getting longer and you can smell Spring in the air. Now is the best time to revive your complexion, prepare it for the warm weather ahead and get your glow on. Here are some basic steps you can take to ensure you will look your best and protect your skin against premature aging.
1. Exfoliate: It's time to get rid of the dry, flaky patches and dead skin that have accumulated over the colder, winter months. Use a gentle exfoliant to uncover the fresh, new skin underneath. Your skin will feel better and photograph better (selfie-fans!), because light reflects better off of fresh, moist skin than it does on desiccated, dead skin cells.
The key word here is gentle. It is best to avoid scrubs that contain walnut shells or apricot pits, as these can cause microscopic tears in the skin that will not only damage your complexion, but irritate already dry, fragile winter skin. By removing this top layer of dead skin, you will allow your moisturizer and creams to penetrate more effectively and do their job better.
Our recommendation: La Ishá Orange-Coconut Face Polish. It gently removes dead skin and infuses freshly uncovered skin with potent essential oils that both moisturize and protect it. This special Face Polish can even be used on the tender skin under your eyes to help minimize crows’ feet, and on your lips to get rid of chapped, dry skin and make them kissably soft. It also smells like a tropical vacation! Just close your eyes when you use it and you'll see...
2. Remove your makeup and cleanse your skin every night before bedtime with a non-drying, non-sudsing formula that won't irritate your skin or strip it of its' natural oils. Think you can get away with using a harsh body soap on your face? Think again. Proper cleansing is the first step in setting up your skin to accept moisture. Avoid products that contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, a sudsing agent that has been linked to cancer as well as developmental and reproductive toxicity issues.
Our recommendation: La Ishá Gentle Aromatherapy Face Wash. It incorporates Clinical Aromatherapy to calm irritated skin and jangled nerves after a long day at work! Use it with a warm wash cloth for the ultimate nighttime relaxation experience.
3. Moisturize twice a day. Use a high-quality product that contains scientifically proven anti-aging ingredients to nourish your skin and strengthen it against future free radical damage.
Our recommendation: La Ishá Nutrient Rich Face Crème. Potent antioxidants, vitamins, botanical extracts and precious therapeutic-grade essential oils penetrate deeply to heal, super-hydrate, tighten and revitalize tired, parched, lackluster skin.
4. Protect your skin from the sun. While the warmth may feel good after being cooped up indoors during the winter months, just walking back and forth from your car to the office or your home exposes your skin to the cumulative harmful UVA rays that cause premature aging. These rays are strong enough to penetrate the windows in your car, so don't think that you are safe because you are driving and they are tinted. Anyone who has those annoying brown spots on the sides of their face knows this is true...
According to the EWG, sunscreen should be your last resort – not your only one, with wearing protective clothing and taking care to avoid sun exposure during peak exposure among the top two priorities. When choosing a sunscreen, be sure to use a full spectrum sunscreen that effectively blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Mineral sunscreens like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are considered safer than chemical sunscreens. For a list of the safest and most effective sunscreens that have passed the EWG's rigorous safety testing, click on this link: http://www.ewg.org/sunsafety/astore.php
5. Take a multi-vitamin supplement and try to eat more unprocessed foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. Healthy, organic whole foods can help alleviate and prevent a variety of skin issues, as well as promote better overall health.
6. Remember to make water your beverage of choice and drink it often throughout the day, especially during the spring and summer heat. In addition to promoting healthy body functions, drinking water can help flush out toxins and excess fluid which can in turn reduce bloating and under eye puffiness. It is truly the best beauty beverage around.
7. Clean out your cosmetic bag! Out with the old and in with the new! It is time to throw away any products that are past their expiration date or have been in use for longer than 6 months. In addition to losing potency over time, old products can breed bacteria and harbor germs that you don't want to apply to your skin. Remember: your skin is the largest organ in your body, and a good 60% of what you apply topically finds its' way into your bloodstream. So stay safe and when in doubt, throw it out.
8. Clean your makeup brushes. Brushes should be cleaned on a regular basis and dried thoroughly to avoid bacterial contamination. If you cannot be bothered with cleaning them, buy disposable applicators and use them instead.
Following these simple steps will get you on your way to achieving the beautiful, flawless complexion you always wanted! Remember: your body sheds the outermost layer of your skin on a regular basis. This gives you a brand-new opportunity to improve the health and appearance of your skin. It's never too late to adopt a safe and effective beauty routine!
Please let us know if you have any questions!
Wishing you the blessings of good health and timeless beauty,